Sunday, October 18, 2009

On Writing: Strong Characters

What makes a story great? There're numerous ways. One of them is to create strong characters, especially the P and the A. So, it's important to populate our fictional worlds with strong characters. A strong and memorable character that comes to my mind at the moment is Scarlet O'Hara. What makes her strong and memorable? If you've read Gone with the Wind or seen the movie, you get the idea. I read the book once years ago and saw the movie several times. Every time I saw it, I enjoyed it just like the first time I watched it.

I'm glad to have let my fantasy novel cool down for a few months. During this period, I read books outside the genre and discovered that I have a lot of thinking to do before the next revision. The down time has served me well.

No comments: