Saturday, November 30, 2013

My Winning Haibun

I've been sick for more than a week and am still quite sick. So I'm going to post here my haibun that won a second place of Jerry Kilbride Memorial 2012 English-Language Haibun Contest. This haibun has just been published by Haibun Today Volume 7, Number 4, December, 2013, which comes out today.


Leaves Falling to Their Roots

A sunny autumn day. Wes and I are driving through territory new to me.

“Remember where I want to be buried?” I ask.

“Have your ashes scattered into the Pacific from a promontory on the Oregon coast,” he answers. I told him that during our trip there.

I smile sadly. “Yes. So, a bit of me might flow back to the coast of Vietnam.”

Hours later, we arrive. He holds her urn as we walk towards the designated spot.

Calgary
his grandmother rests
at home





| contents page | next haibun |


No comments: